This is a collaboration with Maureen Baker. I used her great pattern complete this piece. You will want to check her out at www.maureen-baker.com. Here is the 12 X 12″ wood self-frame piece I painted:
Here is Maureen’s original piece:
Here is how this piece came to life:
- Flip 12 X 12 Wood Panel backwards
- Painter’s Tape the perimeter and sides of panel to protect frame to paint later.
- Paint entire surface and sides of frame with DecoArt Media Gesso (White)
- Apply grass with DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics (Green Gold) and Sky (Cobalt Turquoise Hue) with a stipple brush
- Complete the sky.
- Apply Japanese rice paper with DecoArt Media Matte Medium SOLD HERE
- Use DecoArt Misters (Primary Cyan, Yellow Green and Shimmer Turquoise) to mist around perimeter of piece.
- Trace pattern on background
- Color in pattern with DecoArt Fluid Acrylics: (Titanium White, Diarylide Yellow, Yellow Green Light, Quin Gold, Green Gold, Primary Cyan, Hansa Yellow Light and Phthalo Green-Yellow). Doodle around perimeter of flower and stems with a Liner Brush and DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylic (Carbon Black).
- Add grass with DecoArt Fluid Acrylics (Green Gold and Phthalo Green-Yellow) with the edge of a palette knife.
- Complete piece by removing painters tape and painting the frame with DecoArt Americana Decor Metallic (Pewter) and dry brush on DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics (Paynes Grey).
- Substrate: 12 X 12 Wood Panel flipped backwards
- DecoArt Fluid Acrylics: (Carbon Black, Paynes Grey, Diarylide Yellow, Cobalt Teal Hue, Titanium White, Yellow Green Light, Quin Gold, Green Gold, Primary Cyan, Hansa Yellow Light and Phthalo Green-Yellow)
- DecoArt Media Gesso (White)
- DecoArt Media Misters (Primary Cyan, Yellow Green and Shimmer Turquoise)
- DecoArt Media Varnish (Satin)
- DecoArt Matte Medium
- DecoArt Spray Sealer (Matte)
- DecoArt Americana Decor Metallics (Pewter)
- DecoArt Brush & Stencil Cleaner
- Maureen Baker Pattern available on her online store: This great pattern is available on Maureen’s site: http://www.maureen-baker.com/
I created this fun time lapse video so you could see my creative process HERE:
I really loved this project from start to finish:
I hope you enjoyed it too! For more inspiration make sure to visit my blog at www:tracyweinzapfelstudios.com/blog.
My responses are not perfect … they are not always ideal … I am human after all.”