I am asked all the time what are my basic supplies to get started in art journaling (or art in general) and I am going to answer those with Tracy’s Tips. Here are my five basic supplies which I will break down (and remember: you do not need expensive materials to get started!)
Here are my five main ingredients:
- Art Journal
- Painter’s Tape
- Paint Brushes
If you wish to get my FREE Art Journaling for Beginners Guide please sign up HERE!
Let’s talk pens! I love to use detailing pens to add dimension and depth. I will start with some inexpensive and readily available pens.
Sharpie Fine & Ultra Fine – Yep, these inexpensive pens work great, and with just two tips you have all you need. You can even buy them in one marker to save time & money:
My personal favorites are Molotow Blackliner which I use all the time because they come in 11 great tips :
- Produce fine and exact lines; ideal for outlines, stencils, and precise sketches
- Water-based, pigmented archival ink is resistant to water and chemicals
- Quick-drying, fade-resistant ink is designed for indoor use
- “Cap Off” without drying out 90-180 minutes; stroke width 1mm = 30 minutes; writing length is up to 2000 meters
- Blackliner Set features slip-proof matte textured barrels & metal encased tips: .05mm, .1mm, .2mm., .3mm, .4mm, .5mm, .7mm, .9mm, 1mm, chisel tip and round tip
Other pens I recommend are Micron:
- Assorted Point Sizes: Contains 1 of each Micron pen: 005, 01, 02, 03, 05, 08, Brush, & Graphic 1.0mm
- Archival Quality: Sakura Micron Pen ink is waterproof, fade-resistant, bleed-free, quick drying, and pH neutral
- Create Freely: Pigma Micron pens use color from single pigments for color consistency, every time
You will see in my art that the black detailing makes the painting come alive:
NOTE: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase, I could make a small commission at no charge to you.
Want more inspiration and artwork?
- My website tracyweinzapfelstudios.com with resources, free art tutorials, and more!
- My creative membership Your Artful Journey, where you can explore the world of art journaling with interactive art sessions full of tips and tricks, conversations, Q&As, and most of all, FUN!
- My Facebook page where I go LIVE every Wednesday night at 5:30 PM PST. You’ll learn a quick and easy art lesson and laugh a lot!
- My YouTube channel which has tons of free art lessons right at your fingertips.
- My Instagram for a peek into my daily art life!